Itching to learn how to pack a military duffle bag? While it sounds easy to just chuck everything in that spacious duffle bag, it is essential that you be systematic about it. There is more than one reason why you should, and we are here to help you understand that.
Before anything else, though, let us first put into perspective the thrust of this read. The packing steps and tips that we are about to share with you are not explicitly meant for those in the military. Rather, these can be utilized for normal traveling.
Choosing a Duffle Bag
Before we go over the steps to packing a duffle bag, let us first briefly discuss the factors to consider in choosing one. Of course, you have to be sure that what you are going to use will suit your needs.
1. Pick the Right Size
Just like any other bag, duffle bags come in different sizes. Some even have a carrying capacity of up to 130 liters. To know the right size for you, you should first determine the length of your trip.
Are you staying there for good? Or will you just be gone for a weekend trip? The rule of thumb is to definitely use a duffle bag if you are going to be away for two weeks.
2. Pockets and Accessories
You can go as simple as having one main compartment. However, we suggest getting a duffle bag that has a couple of interior and exterior pockets. The reason behind this is that you get to put things in their proper place, and thus, you get to access the things that you need easily.
But then again, do keep in mind that the more the added features are present in your duffle bag, the heavier it gets. Hence, choose one that has just the right number of pockets and accessories that you need.
3. Carry On or Rolling
There are now duffle bags that can be attached to wheeled handles. Again, for those who are joining the military, better stick with the carry-ons because, more often than not, you were instructed to pack light.
On the other hand, for those who are traveling with a lot of belongings, it is suggested to use wheels because the design of a duffle bag is a sucker for gravity. What is normally heavy for regular bags will feel heavier with a duffle bag.
Let us now move on to the steps of properly packing a duffle bag.
How to Pack a Military Duffle Bag: The Steps
- You should first get everything that you are going to pack and lay them out where you can see them all. You can use your bed or a wide table for this. Doing so will give you a sense of everything you need to pack, and it will be easier to spot things that you do not need or those that you forgot to pick out.
- Take your socks, roll them in small balls, and put them inside the shoes that you are going to bring. Make sure to do this first so you can save space.
- Let us now move to on to your shirts, pants, and underwear. Fold all of them in half lengthwise and roll them up in order to form a cylinder. You can secure the roll by using rubber bands. In rolling them, make sure to roll slowly so as to avoid any wrinkling.
- Now, take all your toiletries and put them in a zippered plastic bag. Do not forget to squeeze out all of the excess air. Properly seal the bag and put it inside another plastic bag. Using two bags will help protect your things if ever a leak occurs.
- You can then group items that are similar, such as electronics, snacks, and other knick-knacks. Place the grouped things in small bags that are meshed. Doing so will make it easier for you to look for a certain thing instead of looking through the whole bag.
- You can now start putting stuff inside the bag. Make sure to put the heavy things first. These things will serve as a durable base for your bag. It can also help it keep its shape.
- As for your pants, lay them on top of our shoes. Make sure to alternate directions so you can fill in as many gaps as you can in between the shoes.
- Next are your shirts. Put them on top of your pants. Every so often, push down to optimize the space inside the bag. For this, you can also opt to put grouped shirts inside a smaller mesh bag to be more organized.
- The next layer is for your mesh bags. Put them on top of the shirts and arrange them in such a way that they will be easy to access.
- The bag for your toiletries will be put on top of those mesh bags so you can easily refresh yourself until you reach your final destination.
- You can fill in extra spaces and gaps with underwear, socks, or other small items.
- If you plan on bringing books or magazines, you can slide them around the duffle bag in order to protect the things inside. Just make sure that they are not tearing or bending. Doing this last step will also give your bag an extra barrier of protection.
Here are some tips to help you efficiently pack your duffle bag.
- Bring only what you need.
- Essential items, such as your wallet, passport, and other IDs, should always be placed on top of everything else for easy access.
- Do not forget the last step because a duffle bag by itself is not that durable against too much pressure.
- You can alternate the direction of each shoe for it to create a sturdy base.
- Always shake your duffle bag up after closing it so that everything is packed tightly. This will minimize the chances of your things moving inside the bag.
And, that’s it! Those are the 12 easy and simple steps on how to pack a military duffle bag. Just think of it like building a wall—you need to have a sturdy and stable base as well as strong foundations. Lastly, you have to reinforce everything to make it even more stronger.